Collections in the Children’s Room and Young Adult Room include fiction and non-fiction, study guides, college and career information, and a parenting skills section.
The Children’s Room serves children from pre-school through 6th grade. Collections include over 70,000 books, as well as magazines, and early childhood music on CD. There is a large collection of Spanish, Bengali, and French language books for children.
This historical collection focuses on the African-American and Caribbean experience as expressed through folklore, novels, short stories and biographies from mid-20th century to contemporary works.
Newbery & Caldecott Winners
All of the titles that have earned these prestigious awards are available.
Parenting Skills Collection
Features books that will help parents deal with an assortment of issues associated with raising a child, including sensitive matters such as: discipline, problem solving, sibling rivalry, and coping with death or loss.
A new Children's Library with interactive exhibits is opening this year next to the Central Library.
Call the Children's Room (718-990-0767) or see the monthly calendar.
Young Adult Room
The Young Adult room serves young people in grades 7-12, providing programs of interest to teenagers. The collection includes fiction and non-fiction, selected reference materials, and magazines. Class and group visits arranged by appointment.
- Extensive collection of books on careers
- College information and financial aid
- SAT and ACT exam study guides
- Regents exam study guides
- Specialized high schools and Catholic high schools entrance exam study guides
- African American history, culture, and biography
- Special Collections include paperback classics, graphic novels, and current issues
- Hispanic achievement, culture, and biography
Call the YA Desk (718-990-0768) or see the monthly calendar.